Friday, March 05, 2004

Time to go see "The Passion" this weekend.......

Yep, that's the plan. I got to see what all the fuss is about. Personally, I don't believe in the "rose from the dead" stuff, and if you believe that Jesus died for all of our sins, that's fine with me. What I do find most interesting historically is that Jesus was removed from the cross at all. The whole point of a crucifixion was to leave the body on the cross as a warning to the rest of the town not to mess with Rome. I would say that if the most angry rebellious anti-Roman voice in town suddenly ended up rotting for a few days on a cross at the end of the village, I would be less likely to listen to this type of voice. Crucifixion doesn't look like much fun. But Jesus was on the cross for what, less than a day? Doesn't make sense if this was the biggest threat to Rome. If Jesus was truly causing problems for Rome, and uniting the Jews against Rome in any way, Rome would have left his rotting corpse on the cross for at least a few days, 'cause see that was the point.

But why let logic ruin a good story?

I think that if you believe in the majority of the magical aspects of the Bible, that's your perogative. The ideas that Jesus stood for appeal to me, love your brother, help the needy, etc.etc. And it is a good foundation for moral teachings for children. But when people start telling me that even a guy like Hitler can get redemption if he believes in God, I get annoyed. If there is any justice in the universe, he should be getting payback for the suffering he caused on earth. How that's possible I don't know, but I have a problem with washing the slate clean because you prayed to the Lord.

So, I'll go see the flick. I have read so many reviews about it, ranging from both people who love it and hate it, but there is definitely one consensus. There is some serious violence in this movie -as if this should be a suprise? Mel Gibson=violent movies + the Crucifixion=possibly the most violent form of execution ever invented gets you one f'ed up movie. Anyone see Braveheart? Then The Passion being violently gory should come as little suprise to anyone.

And I'll probably be the only one eating popcorn.


No comments: