Thursday, May 12, 2005

Dumb, Dumber and Pat Buchanan............

...........

Some days you read things on the web that make you chuckle. Some days you read things that make you sad. Some days you read things that give you hope.

Then there are days like today, where you click the mouse and BOOM! Ignorant ramblings jump off the screen and in to your lap. You wonder if the level of idiocy on the internet is ever truly peaked, and then things like this sprout up.

Was World War II Worth It?
By Patrick J Buchanan.


I'm not going to post the whole article because it would foul this blog to have anything but the link above listed. Essentially, Pat's incredulously ignorant thesis for his article are these main points-

"If the West went to war to stop Hitler from dominating Eastern and Central Europe, and Eastern and Central Europe ended up under a tyranny even more odious, as Bush implies, did Western Civilization win the war?"

Well Pat, I think it's safe to say that a guy like Hitler wasn't exactly someone we could trust to stop attempting to take over the world when he reached the UK. We went to war to stop Hitler. Period. He was a ruthless tyrannical dictator bent on worldwide domination. Does anyone doubt if Hitler had the opportunity to use Nuclear weapons that he would have exercised restraint? One of the exhibits at the Air and Space museum in DC is the V2 rockets, and the examples of there success in destroying parts of the UK. How hard is it to imagine Hitler fitting one of those with a nuclear warhead? Perhaps that's why part of the strategy of the Allies during WWII was to get the scientists who might be capable of creating such technology the hell away from Hitler.

Pat goes on, unfortunately-

"When one considers the losses suffered by Britain and France - hundreds of thousands dead, destitution, bankruptcy, the end of the empires -was World War II worth it, considering that Poland and all the other nations east of the Elbe were lost anyway?"

To answer this question I present the following evidence from the blog You Big Mouth You!. It is a letter from Albert Gaynes, an US soldier from the 12th Armored Division who had just liberated a concentration camp, addressed to his lady Debbie.

"30 April 1945
Debbie,

I have seen today the full, complete bestiality of what was one of the Nazis horror concentration camps. I saw for myself with my own eyes the ungodly sight. Debbie, I hope that you will never see what I will see until I die.

Our division overran a concentration camp located in the path of our advance. The last town I visited before this location was Augsburg in southern Germany. It has been several days since its capture when I visited it.

The camp is located about 300 yards off a main road. It's not hidden or out of the way. The shacks resembled the OCS barracks which you saw at Aberdeen - the tar paper ones. But for sleeping quarters the prisoners lived on the dirt floor with nothing but some dirty straw.

But how can I describe the actual inhuman, unbelievable sights.

I saw dead men lying inside of these shacks. I saw them lying in the fields and on the ground.

They were naked. How had they died? They were starved and tortured to death. They were skeletons with skin. Their hideous faces appalled me, but I wandered about almost refusing to believe that I was not dreaming. I saw men with their arms broken into all shapes; men with arms and legs cut off; men with their throats slit; men with their heads cut off; men with their legs twisted and misshapen. I personally saw 50 or 60 of these creatures which once were Human beings. There were some shacks which the Nazis had burned and I saw the charred bodies.

When I had seen all my mind and stomach and heart stand, I left. Others of the company who explored the area found long ditches for graves which were littered with dead bodies which had not even been filled with dirt.

What had these men done to warrant being tortured. (They were tortured; not just starved. The arms and legs and countless other mutilations must have been done while the inmates still lived.)

These men had disagreed with the Nazis. They were political prisoners - Jews, communists, liberals, devout Catholics - anyone who had disagreed with the Nazi political philosophy......"


You can read the rest of the letter and many others like it here...

Read those letters and then tell me why anyone would print what Pat wrote in anything resembling a newspaper or newssite.

Thanks Pat, now please go crawl back under your rock.

No comments: